Monday, November 18, 2013

Writers Studio 201 #2

This is the second installment of my progress in Writer's Studio 201! I finished the story today but I'm going to upload it bit by bit, so you'll have to wait for the end! Mwahahahahahahahahahaha


I was not standing in this hat shop just for the warmth it provided, but because I had run of of hats. I was reasonably frugal, not buying the cheap, nasty things but making sure they are reasonably priced. And yet I had gone through fifty-nine hats this year. Slowly I circled a rack of patterned hats. There were turquoise ones with black zebra stripes, yellow ones with pink dots, green ones with slits all around the brim. None of them seemed quite right. I had been scanning the shop for hours. 
Before long the manager bustled over. It was a stout little man with a vast amount of rather mousey brown hair on top of his head that added to his height by about five inches. His eyes were very sharp, very defined, a precise shade of blue. Although he was short, he seemed to hold a surprising amount of power. 
“Everything okay over here?” He squeaked. He obviously decided that things were not okay, because he took charge. “You don’t want to look here, not many have been satisfied by this rack, no. Come over here, you are our sixtieth customer and I have kept aside something very special for that very person.”
I followed him through a door, through another door, down a passage, around a corner, past a window that looked in on what must have been his office. He stopped suddenly and I very nearly knocked him over. 
“How silly of me, I walked right past it.” He murmured, shaking his head so that his hair wobbled around dangerously. I wondered suddenly if it was a wig. 
He walked backwards a few steps to the window, and pulled out a little stool that he stood on in order to see in. He poked his hand through and extracted a set of keys. He then began counting the bricks on the wall. 
“Fifty-seven, fifty-eight, fifty-nine... yes, it’s this one.” He said aloud. He pulled the brick out of the wall - it came out quite easily - to reveal a small padlock. 
“Yes.” He smiled and looked carefully at the engravings on the keys. He chose one and began twisting it around in the padlock. 
“I’m afraid this takes a dreadfully long time.” Said the man apologetically. “To put others off, you know. Even if they do manage to come to this spot, retrieve the key, count the bricks and find the lock, if none of the keys work at first then they will give up. Very important that nobody gets into my office, you’ll see in a moment...”

No comments:

Post a Comment