Monday, July 8, 2013

Uh - I Think I'm Lost

Today's Mapping and Geography workshop with Darryn was really cool and interesting, but I'll admit it was a little confusing at times because Geography and Logic is NOT my thing. I hate it! It's so confusing! Although it was much easier today, I still felt a little lost when Darryn started talking about C43 and North Mag/North Grid! I mean, wouldn't you?

But you're probably feeling pretty confused as it is, so I'll back up a little and start from the start, which I think's a good place to begin, don't you?

Today when we did the Geography and Mapping workshop with Darryn, I learnt about grids, compasses, how to make a 'bearing' and navigate my way through an enormous mass of forest, jungle, push, mountains, lakes and ocean!

Here are just some of the things we did...
We unfolded a few of Darryn's maps that he uses for hunting and studied it carefully, with Darryn telling us where what was and what all the lines meant and what was land and what was water... then we joined two maps together and he told us a crucial piece of information - that of you have two different maps but one leads on from another, then the two overlap because if they don't then in the middle you've got this big blank part and you're like, "Hey, what the heck's over there?"
Then it was... COMPASS TIME! Darryn plonked a compass on the map and the red side of the needle pointed to where was North so we could align our map, because the tops of maps always face North. Then we spun the dial on the compass so that the little 'N' was what the red line was pointing to, and then we turned our map around according to that so we were all exact and lined up.

Mt Izzy...
Next Darryn told us about 'bearings'. Some of us faced each other pretending to be mountains (Mt Izzy and Mt Emma) and another person had to make a 'bearing' from one mountain to the other.

We also covered things like one square on the map was one kilometre, there's a twenty-degree difference between the angle North Mag and North Grid, and more.
And to think I thought that maps were just a piece of paper with a bunch of lines all over them!




No comments:

Post a Comment